Thursday, March 01, 2007

the future of publishing is social

This just in from Paul B Hartzog on Oort Cloud at one of my favorite blogs (Many 2 Many):

Basically, OpenLit is a simple catalytic cycle: Write - Share - Read - Respond

Write
First, writers write.
Share
Second, writers share with others what they have written.
Read
Third, readers read what is available.
Respond
Fourth, readers respond to what they have read.

In this way, writers become better writers by virtue of having a distribution outlet that embeds constant feedback, and readers have access to better and better stories, where “better” actually means better for them based on their interaction with the writers.

I love this! This is so cool! I want it for more than science fiction! I want it for non-fiction! I want it for everything! I have been using Google docs to work with Steven and other folks willing to contribute sidebars to our project. It has been great having collaborative workspace for this, but now I see the real possibilities. Anyone want to build this for LIS publishing? Put something like this together with a self-publishing site like Lulu.com and I'll be the first to sign up.

3 comments:

Alice said...

Reader-response theory made personal! (and immediate!) Stanley Fish, eat your heart out.

K.G. Schneider said...

I'd argue that it's different and it's interesting, but that doesn't make it an improvement on other forms of writing. The idea that a writer needs "instant feedback" in order to create makes me a little sad. Literature by focus group?

Alice said...

Literature, probably not. But ad copy? Marketing? Web copy? (gasp...blog copy??) You bet...(for me, anyway.)

But yes, I shudder to think what the focus group would have said to Flannery O'Conner, for example: "Difficult to understand, please make message clearer."