Saturday, January 23, 2010

TEDx Columbus

I have been shy about publishing this, but not for the reasons you might think. Last October I had the huge pleasure of speaking at TEDx Columbus, a local TED event organized by local folk. I was invited, at least one of the reasons, because I work at OCLC and they were interested in highlighting ideas and work from local organizations. This was my first time talking with a non-library audience about some of these ideas and I had a great time.

You can decide for yourself how you think it went - the whole 18 minutes are posted here. But the reason why I have been shy about showing it has less to do with the content of my actual speech and so I'll just come clean...

I had this very cute little skirt and top to wear for my speech. When I arrived the day before, the organizers shared that I should not wear black. Seriously? I almost died. And so here I am on a TEDx video wearing boring pants and a sweater. (And now you know real the extent of my vanity!)

If you have a chance to review, I would love to have your feedback. This experience definitely drove home for me that we need to be out in the communities we serve talking about our work (and not just talking back and forth to each other). I hope to have more opportunities to talk to non-library audiences ... this was such a good time. Note to self: always pack a cute color dress, just in case!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Don't let her fool you. The talk was amazing and still discussed...I should know, I'm the one who told her she couldn't wear black! Worth watching again!

SEO 成果報酬 said...

always pack a cute color dress, just in case!

That's exactly right!

Roy Tennant said...

Chrystie, what an amazing presentation this is. I had tears in my eyes, it was that good. As far as I'm concerned, you could have been wearing a paper bag and it wouldn't have taken anything away from your message or how you presented it. May I be the president of your fan club?

Daniel Clark said...

Extraordinary! Now you've got two guys crying! I can't tell you how beautifully you expressed things I've been trying to get understood for years. You went right to the heart of it - it's people, it's community, it's sharing. Thank you!

chrystie said...

you guys are nice. thank you. and yes, roy, you may be the president.

Ken Winter said...

Chrystie-

This was riveting, and I think you looked super! I am in the Roy fan club so when I saw him tweet about this I went right to it. Thank you for posting! I am in your fan club too and can relate to your next-gen libraian experiences.

Sometimes it feels like there are still so many more of "them" than "us." But change is hard...and so is letting go.

I started crying at about 8:10, but it was because the video seized up while buffering! I was that riveted to what you were saying.

Thank you for sharing with your community. :)

Patrick said...

Good presenting and good storytelling Chrystie!

Alane said...

Now, if you'd said nothing about clothes (because you are not a Fug Girl...my fav blog)I would not have noticed how unusual it was for you to be wearing what you were...because you gave an awesome presentation! Really, you did an outstanding job...articulate, warm, personal. Kudos, my dear. I'd take Roy up on his offer of Chief Chrystie Fan Boy.

chrystie said...

more nice people. i [heart] you all.