Sunday, February 20, 2005

Hawaii

My friend Jennifer just let me know she was going (for work, no less) to Honolulu for 2 weeks. And of course she asked me where to go, being a sometime local myself. (It was a great year and a half I lived there!) I put together a list for her and it's so good, I decided to share it with you. Think of this as a Reader's Advisory Service for Honolulu newbies:

Eats in Honolulu:
1. Roy's in Hawaii Kai. My fav. Restaurant. Expensive but worth it. Dress up a bit--aloha wear is fine.
2. Indigo in Nu'uanu. Chic but mellow. Like all of Hawaii, I guess...
(there's also an Irish pub called Murphy's down there around the block if you're feeling nostalgic for UK life...
3. Val loves Sam Choy's Breakfast Lunch and Crab. Be ready--lotsa food.
4. Yummy Korean BBQ is all over the place. It is so ono (means delicious) and get vege plate with 2 scoops rice.
5. There's a hole in the wall pizza place by the airport called the Big Kahuna and no lie the cheese balls are worth the cholesteral-clogging potential.
6. Gotta get Malasadas from Leonards. They're portuguese donuts but oh so much better. Best place is around the bend from Haunauma Bay and the light house--but there's also a stand on Kapi'olani I think. Down from Kapiolani Park--near a running room shop and like across from Pyramids middle eastern food and belly dancing.
7. For Mexican (sometimes you need a break from all the mango, guava jelly, yeah?)There's a place called Compadres across from Ala Moana Beach in the strip mall/mega mall there. Granted I have not been back in a couple of years. Last time I was there, they'd plopped a huge movie Mega plex right where it used to be kinda sleepy...
8. Dukes on Sunday. This is the only time I will advise you to go to Waikiki. Dukes has a good menu and on Sundays they have Henry Kapono and you drinnk and dance on the patio. If your hotel is down there, well, so sorry for you. The Sheraton Moana Surfrider is my favorite--of course it is sooooo british imperialism but there we are. They even serve a proper cream tea for $50. Or they used to.

Beaches
For diving--well, we never went past 40-50 feet I don't think. Frankly, the coral is pretty dead but it's fun to swim with the fishes. We went to Electric Beach over Wainai side (pretty far drive from downtown) and I think North Shore once.

For snorkeling and a locals-only beach, go to Kahala. Again, takes some asking around but worth it. Lots of coral--but there is a good cut in the coral in the middle of the beach strip that gives good access.

North Shore: plan to spend the better part of a day driving around the north shore. This time of year, you'll want to watch some medium waves at north shore, get some shave ice from Matsumotos in Haleiwa (the azuki beans are good) and generally stop at all the white shrimp truck, local papaya stands...probably if you leave at 10 in the morning, you'll be home in time to clean up for dinner and you've probably still laid on the beach for an hour or 2 along the way. Pack your bag for anything...

The Bishop Museum and anything Kamehameha Schools would be super cool.

Chinatown is fine--go get a lot of leis from Cindy's on Maunakea. The white ginger is pricy but smells divine. They usually have $1 leis in the bins that are getting old...treat yourself to a new lei every day for your hotel room. It's only $1.

Hikes
Okay. Hikes, there is a KILLER hike up Koliolio Pass, I think it's called. You totally hike up in the morning and it is a haul. But rewards great views..unless it's cloudy, in which case be careful because you won't see the edge of the mountain until it's quite close.

The lighthouse hike is very tame--over by Haunama Bay. Haunama Bay is another place I would avoid if I were you. Very touristy and all coral is dead. Fish will nibble on you, though.

I loved to hike around back behind our house in Nu'uana/Pali Highway but of course I can't tell you much beyond get off the Pali at the last exist before you go over the Highway. Veer off right and find some jungly looking ditch/chain-link fence-type area. That is the trailhead.

Manoa Valley has UH and there is some hiking back there, too--but it is always so rainy and not nearly as hip and happenin as you'd expect for college kids.

Random
A word to the wise: traffic is hell on H1. Definitely avoid H1 during commuter times. Nimitz is much better to get around over on that side of the island.

Roundtop Drive/Tantalus is cool at night.

What else can I tell you? Relax and enjoy Hawaii. Take deep breaths. I miss that island smell in my nose.

Have fun! Can't wait to hear all about it! You are just barely missing the Great Aloha Run--it's tomorrow.

Much aloha
Alice

2 comments:

annot8 said...

Okay, you made me homesick! I'm a local transplant in Sacramento, CA now, but I go "home" every couple of years. Have you discovered Internet Radio Hawaii ye?

Anonymous said...

Organizasyon Firmaları
Düğün Organizasyonu
Asansör
İskele
Kalıp
Uçak Bileti
Bayrak
Narrow Weaving Machinery
Kurye
Pdks