Friday, April 15, 2005

Form a government: the House of Commons

George's post inspired me to chime in: I first moved to the UK in 1997, about 3 weeks after the new Labour Government was formed. I had arranged, you see, to work for a Tory MP in Parliament--thinking that there was no way "new Labour" was going to win.

But of course they did and suddenly I found myself in the middle of the Opposition party, meeting William Hague (such a bright hope at the time...), picking up the daily Hansard and forming loud-mouthed opinions on Alistair Campbell and Peter Mandelson...

Curiously enough, I spent the summer doing public policy research on Internet filtering. (Our best recommendation at the time was self-policing.) The MP I worked for as a research assistant was really keen on the Web.

Much has changed since that bright summer in London!

No comments: