More statistics on literary, as relates to libraries:
- 75% of the Ohio inmate population does not possess a high school diploma
- 40% of individuals entering the prison system read below the 6th grade level
- Patients with a 3rd grade reading level or less have average health care costs at 6x higher than those with better skills
- 51% of hospital patients could not understand a standard informed consent document
- 42% of patients could not comprehend written directions for taking medicine
Allocating money to libraries does that.
My source. (These are specific to Columbus, Ohio--but Columbus is generally considered a bellwether for national averages.)