Thursday, April 20, 2006

A Cup o' Cold Tea

George is disconcerted by turkey vultures outside his window....he, at least, has a window. Luxury! ("Luxury. We used to have to get out of the lake at six o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of 'ot gravel, work twenty hour day at mill for tuppence a month..." Monty Python)

I have a Dilbert cubicle. But, as cubicles go, it's a nice one. It's not orange and I have two metal "It's All Good" signs. I have a little closet/filing cabinet and I am strategically located so that I know the whereabouts of five vice-presidents and one CEO. Often, though, I am not in my cubicle. I work at home and I travel a fair bit, promoting myself, OCLC and/or critical thinking.

This afternoon I, like George, will be speaking to attendees of the OHIONET Annual Users' Meeting. Not surprisingly, my topic is the Perceptions report. Next Tuesday, I head to Cleveland to talk to CAMLS members and on Wednesday, I'm off to St. Louis, MO, for a Thursday presentation at the Army Library Training Institute, a five day conference. Luckily, the fact that I am an immigrant does not prevent me from speaking to federal employees. Then it's off to Chicago Sunday night to participate in a day-long event on Monday that Jenny Levine has organized for the Metropolitan Library System, called "Who Are These People and What Do they Want?". My co-presenters are Stephen Abram and Ed Vielmetti. After that, it's back to Cleveland on Wednesday to do a full day workshop with Alice, for NOLA. Alice and I are having fun preparing for this event which will be part lecture and part workshop....there may be silly hats involved.

And then I'm going on holiday for a week. Luxury.














gapingvoid.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In my experience as a software consultant, it was far easier to get into military bases than into private defense contractors' offices.

I distinctly recall showing up at one Aerospace contractor's offices. Their first question was for my "green card", and when I informed them that I didn't have one, they visibly stepped back from me and their eyes widened. I was sent off for a coffee while they tried to figure out if they would let me into the building.

This was all several years before "everything changed." I'm afraid to know what it would be like now.

Jane said...

Please, ignore the librarian sniggering at the Python quote at the reference desk.

I had to put my face in the crook of my arm to stiffle the laughter.